Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Summer Stagnation, the Target's notes.

"Sometimes I wonder what I'm gonna do. 'Cause there ain't no cure for the summertime blues."   -Alan Jackson

   Summertime blues.  A time of inherent boredom that I tend to face in August.  Part of the lazy hot days of a waning summer. My problem is I just can't find the excitement in anything.  Each week I look forward with mild anticipation to a great beach time/surf session, but become overwhelmed with the sameness of it all this year.  Cooler air temps, overcast skies, rain every third week.  Being late this week, DWatt reminded me of the diminishing daylight and shorter evenings.  Couldn't help it, with skies overcast again I take my position along the shoreline.  That's right, I have a position.  One that is versatile enough to allow me to move to and fro, back and forth.  Tactile strength within the constant motion that allows me to follow the surf action (or lack thereof...i.e. steady current drift) of the Wattman.  The wanderers of the beach know to stay out of my way.  Do not invade my space, walk, or stand in front of me.  I have put a stake on my territory.  I do not share.  Constantly scanning the incoming swell for that one ESPN moment if it ever comes.  This week, not so much.  DWatt had little to work with.  Thigh to waist closeouts.  A hard right current that made it a challenge for the Watt to stay in position within the lineup.  With effort, comes fatigue, then the repeated walks back up the beach.  Burs up the water time.  It seemed within the time drifting, a rideable set would come through and Wattman would jump on it.  Quantity over quality seemed to be the key to success this session.  Multiple attempts led to several short rides.  No shutout tonight.  A good thing.  We moved on. Really needed to.
Holiday's, 66th.  7/31/2014















   Old school this evening.  An Ocean City icon.  The Angler Restaurant and Bar. Literally sitting on the dock of the bay in Olde Towne OCMD; in the shadow of the Route 50 bridge.  View of the ebbing sunset. Fishing yachts rocking in the tide.  Jet skis lined up on their launch.  The smell of salt water and marine diesel.  Dude, ya gotta love this area!  Not busy this night so seats at the newly remodeled tiki bar area were readily available.  Listened to the final three of the solo musician's last set and then classic rock piped in through the sound system.  While the draft selections were fair, they did carry local craft brews and a cold glass goes a long way.  We continued our semi-tradition of wings and fish tacos.  As we waited our bartender offered up free beer ordered in error.  He claimed many in the past would have turned them down as it wasn't their brand choice.  A Corona and a Miller Lite.  REALLY?  We're from the Eastern Sho.'  It's free beer.  Always our brand.  Food up.  The Grouper Tacos... good, but not much above average. Did not stand out.  The Key Lime Wings... nice taste.  Sweet with a kick.  But at twelve bucks for eight... pricey for this low tariff Journey.  I mean seriously, the damn chickens are raised right up the road; shipping and handling couldn't have been the reason.  Finished up and took our leave.  Walked off the extra beer on the boards while scouting out future locations.  'Til next week.
THE RATINGS-
Key Lime Wings: C+
Grouper Fish Tacos: C+
Beer: B
Atmosphere: A-
Overall Rating = 2.81

No comments:

Post a Comment