Monday, September 30, 2019

Closeout Sale, tales from the Watt.

Close-outs to the left of me, close-outs to the right. Stuck in the middle.
Holidays and 66th, 9/25/2019.


















Well I don't know why I came here tonight,
I got the feeling that something ain't right,
I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair,
And I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs,
Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you.
-Stealers Wheel


   Our season, meaning our surf season, our beach season, is closing out. After last evening's session, we have but five opportunities left to make the most of what the Atlantic gives us. Representative of what was yet to come, the evening's conditions laid out one close-out after another. I felt like no matter how, or where on the wave I started, I couldn't finish. Either I pulled a floater without landing it, or ate it soon after takeoff. Turned back, headed out, and I tried to get position for the next set. Got to say, they were fast. And, folded over almost entirely. Pile on to that the fast setting sun, and I can admit, the scramble got to me. Target was sitting back in his beach chair, enjoying each forced collapse. I think he even counted. After enough thrashings, and darkness setting in, I finally called it a night. I did have someone to blame. I blamed Jerry. Then I felt better.

  Leaving the dunes behind us, we took a right off of 66th, and for the fourth straight session we headed north. The most current destination was the Crab Bag on 130th and Coastal Highway, a place that highlighted eastern shore cuisine and was known for their jumbo wings. Having visited twice previously, in 2011, and the last time back in 2012, the establishment had only been critiqued on it's wings, and was in need of a Crew score update. Let's face it, our expectations have grown, hence their offerings should have grown. No closeouts expected here. Upon arrival we took our seats at a semi-crowded bar and ordered a couple beers. Natty Boh rules here, and I obliged as Target got himself a Miller Lite, and LWatt pulled in a George's Bloody Mary. Not much to choose from...domestics, no crafts... but a major plus was the iced glass our beer was served in.
These days it's hard to find a tavern serving ice cold drafts. Refrigerated or room temp seems to be the governing style. Our barkeep brought us the menus and we placed our orders...Hot Crab Dip, Old Bay Wings, and the "Baconator" Bacon Cheeseburger. At this point I could go into the assessment of our meal, but we're probably still waiting for it. It took a while. Actually the bartender was very good about keeping us informed as to the status of the grub. When all finally arrived, we dove in. The bacon burger...full of bacon...plenty of bacon, nice size (1/3 lb.), well cooked; a good burger. Not great, but a solid good one. The wings were big, plump, juicy, and waaaaay over spiced. The Crab Dip was okay, however definitely over cheesed, and very rich.

This was a crab house, so many around us were surrounded by brown paper bundles of steaming blue crabs. Target even manged to be a bit debonair and helped the damsel in distress next to him to keep her sleeves crab shell free (Target was all too happy to accommodate). Flatscreens dominated the area as this place made no doubt it was sports bar territory. Baseball, football, American Ninja, women's volleyball (Target was even more happy), the Weather Channel; the place was loaded. The music included an eclectic mix of 70s and 80s which met our "classic" requirements. The tab, when it arrived, was tolerable. However, a place that expounded on it's exceptional food, had average bar food with average bar beer. A wave that looked good, but folded....a closeout. A good game was needed. Maybe a surf movie. It would align the karma of the place. Something that would be warranted if our Journey were to ever bring us back by.
THE RATINGS-
Hot Crab Dip: C
Old Bay Wings: C-
"Baconator" Bacon Cheese Burger: B-
Beer: C+
Atmosphere: B
Value: B-
Overall Score = 2.42

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing such a nice blog with useful information. I hope you will share some more info about Inventory Buyers

    ReplyDelete