Monday, February 12, 2018

Home Cookin', penciled licks from the Target

Scattered rain, scattered surf. Winter winds buffet the Inlet break, 2/4/2018.

   As one of the founding members of the Crew, I sometimes think I have seen it all.  I have seen high tides, and dead flat oceans. I have been to dive bars by the dozen with some so low you need a shower when you leave. I have been to the top  of the mountain. White linen table clothes with professional waiters that understand the meaning of service and the need for an expense  account to pay the bill. Thus, you may ask what is left for the Crew? So last week, with the chill of winter still on the water, we headed for a new destination. Since returning to the Shore, the Watts had been proposing for some time to have the Crew meet for a good home cooked meal. After several delays a date had been agreed upon.  This was to be not just some pizza and beer festival, but a secret Italian family recipe. Lasagna LWatt had started the day before so it could incorporate all the favors. Cheeks and I joined Wattman and family. Old friends catching up over a pre-supper veggie tray and ice cold Stella.
While going out to a bar or restaurant can be diverting, there is in the right atmosphere, something special about relaxing in a friends home, fire going, and just enjoying the time and not thinking about the menu or others sitting around you. 
   Soon enough the Lasagna was served and we all enjoyed each others company over an incredible meal. Now many who have been part of the Crew over the years know how dinner is a small meal for me. Partial appetizers at best. However, I was the first to return for seconds and I would have gone back again but for the impeccable manners that kept me in my chair.  Chowtime was not done. As Wattman helped clear the table I could not help but notice the fresh from scratch chocolate chip cookies LWatt had prepared. Personally, I can think of no better way to end dinner.
The night drew to a close and soon we said our goodbyes and thanked the Watt and Lisa for a wonderful evening. As I left I remembered we had not done a rating of the experience. To that point, I had to do the review by myself. As I reflected on the lasagna, the cold beer and drinks, atmosphere, and value, how do I rate each against our standard?  I know only one thing, all I can tell is the TRUTH. But if I gave the scores deserved that would skew our totals for the upcoming year. So, I settled on the score I gave below as I believe it best reflected the entire night.
Score: PRICELESS


No comments:

Post a Comment